Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Should I turn off my computer or leave it on

Should I put my computer to sleep or not

Here is a question that I get asked almost every day. Should I have my computer sleep, turn it off or just leave it alone? This question has been asked by millions of people since the beginning of the computer. This is a difficult question, I have asked many technicians over the years about this and I come up with different answers all the time. Probably if asked 100 technicians you would probably see a 50/50 split of leaving the computer on or in sleep mode and the other 50% would say to turn the machine off.


Now for me since I use my machine for downloading, I leave the tower on and shut down the monitor. This technique works best for me. You need to make the decision that is best for you.

Different modes of operation

Sleep Mode

Sleep mode is probably the easiest and safest mode for the computer when not in use. This mode enables the computer to come from the sleep state the fastest and it is the most power saving mode out of all the modes to choose from.

Hibernation Mode

Hibernation is a power-saving state for laptops. While sleep puts your work and settings in memory and draws a small amount of power, hibernation saves your work and then turns off your computer. Hibernation uses the least amount of power.

On a laptop, use hibernation when you know you’re going to be away from the laptop for an extended period of time to save all of the battery power you possibly can.

Hybrid Mode

This is the combination of both Sleep and Hibernation Mode. This stores your open documents but also puts your machine in a very low power consumption mode.

Tweaking your own settings

This is probably the best for the more advanced computer user. This gives you the flexibility to set the computer to your specific settings and will cause the computer to go to sleep when you want it. By you tweaking the settings it may be faster for the computer to recovery from the mode state you put it in.